Saturday 10 January 2015

10th January 2015

Today I didn't get going until 1pm.
Washing, shower, breakfast in the garden and 40 pages of a book I have become engrossed in.   Chat to staff about the developments of this guest house. I stayed here before when it was Green Valley and it is nor Gorilla Guest house.   Rightly so as the reception is painted like a jungle and guess what else?? Yes gorillas everywhere. One must smile. 
French omlette toast sausages with pineapple, melon and African tea.
Internet catch up and a rest before heading off to Kampala on the local taxi bus.  I jumped out at a local market to experience real Ugandan life them back on another and completed the 38km journey in 2 hours, stop start in scorching sun. Nothing to do except breathe, read, sip warm water and chat to those who join at stops as we go along. On arrival I experienced the rush and clatter of traffic, businesses, items being transported across town and eyes need to be down for potholes and broken pavings on the pavements and roads, up to avoid, boxes, pipes, mattresses and more being carried on heads and midway hanging onto to bags to prevent theft.
I bought icing sugar, jelly, padlocks, notebooks and an electric 2 hob stove.  Yes carried it home on the same transport and will take it on 7 hours local bus to Lira.  We cook on charcoal stove but have a gas 2 ring cooker for the evening running on cylinder gas. This is not available in Lira at the moment and no one knows when the next supply will arrive.  So now I think all options covered .... I may eat.   I have researched cooking cakes using a large and small saucepan and half a bag of sand.  It will be my birthday, Ronalds, Salim and Isaac while I am here so we will be enjoying cake of all sorts...   Prayers for success.
At 3.30pm I realised that I had not eaten any lunch so hunted for something local. Loads of  McDonald type places with chips which everyone thinks us 'Musungus ' want at every meal Found a nice place who told me she only had Mataka remaining.  Matoke, (savoury banana), small pieces of beef and green vegetables Boa.   Milky coffee included for 7,000 UGX equal to about £1.75.   Still full up at this time.    Just topped up with a tonic water and waiting for a friend to arrive. Tomorrow it has to be beach again.  Thanks everyone for your comments it is great to feel close. x

No comments:

Post a Comment