Sunday 11 January 2015

11th January 2015

Today was a full on day and I have just squeezed everything into 2 bags. I forgot to bring a handbag so hit the market and got a second hand leather one of 75p. A young lad I met here 4 years ago came to visit me at the guest house and he looked terrible, thin and ill. He is a boy who was left with his dad when the mother was chased away form home but when the dad re-married, as is common here the step mum chased him away and he was alone. He has done well and works in hotels, he cooks, drives, does the garden etc in fact a good all rounder but being a quiet and kind boy he does get taken advantage of. After 12 years he decided at Christmas to trace his mum and found her. He was so welcomed by her and his siblings and spent Christmas with them. Sadly he became ill with malaria and was admitted to hospital for a week. On coming back to work he is employed in a local hotel but has to sleep in the company car to be near the gate and when guests need the car he just stands outside. All staff are given 1 meal a day and he is paid just under £40 a month.
No employment law to support. He went off with razors, soap, deoderant, biscuits, paracetamol, money for food and a haircut and a massive hug. tonight I received a message from him thanking me and telling me he loved me. I then went to visit some friends I made several years ago Kalim is a fisherman who lives in a shack with his wife and 3 children. They have had a lot of challenges and live on the fish he catches on the day. He struggles to send his children to school but the love within the family is beautiful. They were so grateful as I took a cabbage, got to have your veggies, sugar, salt and tea leaves. It was as if I had given the world. He said ''Sandra I don't know why you always come to see us people from so far when we are so poor. He actually said I love you. Thats 2 men in 1 day come on you UK chaps, I don't get that from you.
I went then to the beach and it was heaving, music playing with such a beat that it almost vibrated the dna. The happiness was so evident it could be felt and it all moved with the beat. 50 strangers in the water played with 1 ball and the laughter was catching, a group of teenagers all removed their trunks under water and waved then around whooping with enjoyment. food, alcohol, sweets, people walking, swimming, burying family members and real whole family fun. Reflecting I cannot recall hearing any children crying, no parents were shouting at theie youngsters and no child asking for anything. It just was as it was and it was good enough. Up at 4.30am for a 7 hour journey up country.. AND I LOVE YOU X

No comments:

Post a Comment